- 1 pound lean or extra-lean ground beef
- ½ pound Italian sausage, casings removed
- ⅓ cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 3 medium cloves garlic
- ¼ cup freshly chopped basil (or 1 tbsp dried)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray (or you can line with foil and spray for easy clean-up).
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients being careful not to overwork the meat.
- Shape into meatballs and place on baking sheet leaving at least one inch apart for air flow.
- Broil the meatballs (I set my broiler for 475°F) for 10 minutes about 8 inches from the heat source.
- Using tongs, turn the meatballs and broil for another 10 minutes. At this time, start heating your red sauce on medium heat in a large pot or skillet.
- Add the meatballs to the sauce and simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh Parmesan and parsley and serve over your favorite pasta!