Basic Buttermilk Pound Cake
Recipe type: Dessert; Cakes
- 3 cups sugar
- ¾ cups shortening
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 Tbsp. lemon extract
- 6 eggs whites, beaten stiff
- 3 cups flour
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream sugar and shortening until light.
- Add egg yolks one at a time, blending after each.
- Add lemon extract.
- Sift flour, baking soda, and salt together.
- Add about ⅓ flour mixture to creamed shortening, then ½ cup buttermilk, blending well.
- Repeat step 5, ending with last ⅓ of flour.
- Gently fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Pour into 3 pan-coated loaf pans.
- Bake in 350 degrees F oven for 50 minutes.
You can use very small loaf pans or a Bundt pan and adjust the time for baking.