Beer Braised Beef
This is such a great weekend meal. Relatively easy and very filling, especially if it’s cold outside! For this recipe I usually use gnocchi pasta, which is pasta made from potatoes. It’s very hearty and not so mushy like egg noodles in a hot dish.
Author: Joshua Trent
Recipe type: Main
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- ½ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) dark beer
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup water
- Hot cooked noodles
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, discarding drippings.
- Sprinkle beef with pepper and salt. In the same skillet, brown beef on all sides in oil; drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- Add the bacon, onion, garlic and bay leaf.
- In a small bowl, combine the beer, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and thyme.
- Pour over beef mixture.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-1/2 to 6 hours or until meat is tender.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and water until smooth. Gradually stir into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes longer or until thickened. Discard bay leaf.
- Serve over noodles.