Best Thin Crust
If you ever feel like having pizza but don’t want to wait 2 hours on a certain “papa” then give this a try! Really quick and 10 times better than any delivery…or DiGiorno.
Recipe type: Pizza
- ¾ cups water, lukewarm
- ½ teaspoon active-dry yeast
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat oven AND pizza stone to about 475°F. If you don’t have a stone, you can just throw this on the rack but I would suggest finding a pizza peel or something!
- In a stand mixer, combing water and yeast. Give it a good mix and let it proof for 5 minutes. In the meantime you can start chopping your toppings.
- With the mixer on medium, slowly add in the flour and salt until it forms a dough ball.
- On a well floured surface, roll out the dough and knead until it’s smooth and not sticky anymore. Add flour as kneaded…get it? Just seeing if you’re still awake.
- Roll into a ball and divide in two. Use a rolling pin to make two 12 inch wide crusts.
- Rip two squares of parchment paper and put a crust on each. Spoon a few tablespoons of your sauce on each pizza and add your toppings but NOT the cheese yet.
- Using a bread peel or the backside of a baking sheet, slide your pizza (still on the parchment) onto the baking stone in the oven. If you don’t have a baking stone, just bake it right on the baking sheet or on the rack.
- Bake for about 5 minutes and then rotate the pizza 180-degrees (most ovens have ‘hot spots’ your pizza will bake unevenly if it’s not rotated). Bake for another 3 minutes and then sprinkle the cheese over the top. Bake for another 2-3 minutes until the edges are golden brown and crispy. If your cheese isn’t brown you can broil for a minute or two but keep a close eye on this thing or you WILL end up calling Papa John’s.
- Remove your pizza from oven and let it cool on a wire rack. At this point, you can slide the parchment paper out from under the pizza. Repeat with second pizza.
- Let both pizzas cool for about five minutes and serve.
For the toppings: Your choice! Go wild! I’ve used everything from classic pizza sauce, alfredo sauce, pesto, bbq and ranch! For toppings, there’s sauteed onions, red peppers, or mushrooms. Sometimes I like to throw a little Canadian bacon, chicken, sausage or crisp bacon on there too! For cheese, go for one or a combination of the following: mozzarella, provolone, parmesan, fontina, romano, and asiago