Bistro Mac & Cheese
Recipe type: Side Dish
This recipe uses some of my favorite cheeses and gives a real gourmet feel to everyday mac & cheese. I hope you enjoy!
- 1 pkg. (16 oz.) uncooked elbow macaroni
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2½ cups 2% milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded park-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 pkg. (3 oz.) cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven or heavy bottomed pot, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in milk and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat; add cheeses and stir until melted. Stir in sour cream.
- Drain macaroni and stir into cheese sauce.
This recipe can also be baked with a crumb topping. Place macaroni in a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Combine ⅓ cup seasoned bread crumbs and 2 Tbsp. melted butter; sprinkle over macaroni. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly. Tip: If your macaroni is done long before you cheese sauce, rinse it in cold water to stop the pasta from continuing to cook and becoming gummy.