Homemade Chicken & Dumplings
Recipe type: Soups
I just came up with this chicken & dumplings recipe yesterday and they were soo good. Perfect for a blizzard! You can add 2 chopped carrots if you want and add them in with the onions and I like thick soup so I add a heaping teaspoon of corn starch to a jar with ¼ cup water and shake it up then add it to the stock when you add the dumplings.
- 1 (2½ lb chicken, or 4 breasts) cut up into 8 pieces
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 (10¾ oz) can cream of celery soup
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- Place the chicken, celery, carrots, onion, bay leaves, bouillon, salt and pepper in a large pot.
- Add 3½ quarts of water and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Simmer the chicken until it is tender and the thigh juices run clear, about 40 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and, when it is cool enough to handle, remove the skin and separate the meat from the bones.
- Return the chicken meat to the pot. Keep warm over low heat.
- Add the cream of celery soup to the pot with the chicken and simmer gently over medium-low heat.
- To prepare the dumpblings sift the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat the eggs and buttermilk together; pour the liquid in the dry ingredients and gently fold.
- Mix just until the dough comes together, the batter should be thick and cake-like.
- Add the dumpling dough to the chicken stock by spoonfuls.
- Break up large dumplings with a spoon, let poach for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve as a side or a main course.