Chicken & Noodles
Recipe type: Soups
I love making Chicken & Noodles on cold days and it’s 18 degrees F outside so let’s get started! This recipe saved my family in a 2009 snowstorm. My sister got stuck in a ditch in the worst Christmas snowstorm in Oklahoma history and my parents had to go rescue her. When they got back I had made a great big pot of Chicken & Noodles and they still talk about it.
- 1 (2½ lb chicken, or 4 breasts) cut up into 8 pieces
- 3 quarts water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- ½ tbsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- ½ tsp dried marjoram (optional)
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp dried sage
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (16 oz) bag egg noodles
- Place the chicken, carrots, celery, onion, herbs, bay leaves, bouillon, salt and pepper in a large pot.
- Add the water and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Simmer the chicken until it is tender and the thigh juices run clear, about 40 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and, when it is cool enough to handle, remove the skin and separate the meat from the bones.
- While the chicken is cooling, add the noodles and cook to desired texture.
- Shred the chicken and add it back to the pot and serve.