Recipe type: Soups
Homemade chicken stock is just plain better than store bought. It really doesn’t take much effort and you’ll be amazed how much better your recipes come out!
- 5 lbs assorted chicken bones and meat
- 1 large onions, unpeeled and quartered
- 2 carrots, unpeeled and halved
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, cut into thirds
- 5 sprigs fresh parsley
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 5 sprigs fresh dill
- 1 head garlic, unpeeled and cut in half
- 2 tbsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp whole black peppercorns
- Place the chicken parts, onions, carrots, celery, parsley, thyme, dill, garlic, and seasonings in a large stockpot.
- Add 3 quarts of water and bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, for 4 hours.
- Strain the entire contents of the pot through a colander set inside a large bowl and discard the solids.
- Chill the stock overnight. The next day, skim off any fat. Refrigerate and use within 3 days or freeze up to 6 months.