Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes
Recipe type: Vegetables
This is one of my biggest crowd pleasers. It’s so good and creamy everyone in your family will love it.
- 4 yukon gold potatoes, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced into ¼ inch rings (optional)
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 2 cups milk
- Preheat oven 400° F. Butter a 1 quart casserole dish.
- Layer half of the potatoes into the bottom of the prepared casserole dish. Top with the onion slices, and add the remaining potatoes.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Mix in the flour and salt, and stir constantly with a whisk for one minute. Stir in milk.
- Cook until mixture has thickened.
- Stir in cheese all at once, and continue stirring until melted, about 30-60 seconds.
- Pour cheese mixture over the potatoes and cover the dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 1½ hours.