Creamy Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Recipe type: Soups & Stews
It was really rainy today so I decided what better way to enjoy it than a big bowl of soup! Unfortunately I hadn’t been to the store yet so this was all I could come up with! Sometimes I have happy accidents in the kitchen and this came out much better than I thought it would! Really easy too!
- 6 tbsp butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, sliced in half lengthwise and chopped
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 4 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 8 oz broccoli florets, thawed and chopped (half of a 1lb frozen bag)
- 2 cups Sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded or cubed
- chives and sour cream for garnish
- Melt 4 tbsp butter in a medium stock pot or heavy bottomed dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion and celery and cook until onion is almost translucent, about 8 minutes.
- Add remaining butter and let melt. Stir in salt, pepper and flour until the flour is well incorporated. Stir continuously and cook for about 2 more minutes.
- Pour in half and half and chicken stock and bring back to a simmer.
- Once the base has thickened, add broccoli and cheese. Let the cheese melt completely and serve.
If you want to jazz up your baked potatoes, pour this over them and top with sour cream and chives!