- 6 tbsp butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, sliced in half lengthwise and chopped
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 4 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 8 oz broccoli florets, thawed and chopped (half of a 1lb frozen bag)
- 2 cups Sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded or cubed
- chives and sour cream for garnish
- Melt 4 tbsp butter in a medium stock pot or heavy bottomed dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion and celery and cook until onion is almost translucent, about 8 minutes.
- Add remaining butter and let melt. Stir in salt, pepper and flour until the flour is well incorporated. Stir continuously and cook for about 2 more minutes.
- Pour in half and half and chicken stock and bring back to a simmer.
- Once the base has thickened, add broccoli and cheese. Let the cheese melt completely and serve.
Category: Soups & Stews