Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
Author: Joshua Trent
Recipe type: Side Dish
- ½ (16-oz.) package multigrain penne pasta
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 cups fat-free milk
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. dry mustard
- 1 (8-oz.) block 2% reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- Vegetable cooking spray
- Preheat oven at 375 F.
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour, and cook, whisking constantly, 2 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in milk, salt, and dry mustard; cook, whisking constantly, 5 minutes or untli slightly thickened. Remove from heat.
- Add 1½ cups cheese, stirring until cheese melts and mixture is smooth. Stir in pasta until well combined.
- Spoon mixture into an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle evely with remaining ½ cup cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.