- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 & ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup cocoa (I used and recommend Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa)
- 1 & ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 & ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup vegetable or canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup boiling water
- One Bowl Chocolate Frosting (Below)
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease and flour two 9-inch cake rounds or one 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the first six ingredients (sugar through salt); add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin); pour into prepared pan(s) and bake in a preheated 350° F oven for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes our clean.
- If baking cake rounds, allow rounds to cool slightly before turning out onto wire racks to cool completely. If using rectangular baking pan, allow cake to cool completely before icing.