Fried Green Tomatoes
Joshua Trent (Well, Grandma Nene really)
Recipe type: Vegetables
Not only is it a good movie, but Fried Green Tomatoes are one of those summertime delicacies that is worth wating for. This is actually my Grandma Nene’s recipe for Fried Squash Blossoms but it also works for Fried Green Tomatoes and great Fried Dill Pickles.
- 3-4 Green Tomatoes
- Cooking oil (enough to provide about 1 inch deep in pan)
- 1 egg
- ½ cup buttermilk (or regular milk)
- 1 cup Corn Meal (white or yellow)
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- Place cooking oil in large cast iron (or heavy bottomed) pan and place on medium heat. Heat until oil temperature reaches 350°-375°F.
- Wash and slice tomatoes (slice about ¼ inch thick).
- Combine egg and milk in medium sized bowl and beat enough for good mix.
- Place corn meal, flour, salt and peppers in a separate large plate and mix until well combined.
- Dredge tomato slices in cornmeal mix, shake off excess.
- Dip tomato slices in egg/milk wash.
- Dredge in the cornmeal mix again to coat thoroughly
- Placed coated slices in frying pan without sides touching.
- Cook until golden brown on both sides (only about 2 minutes).
- Remove and place on paper towels to absorb oil.