Garlic & Herb Mashed Potatoes
Recipe type: Vegetables
DO NOT PEEL THE POTATOES. That is just blasphemous to the country code. Page 14, Section 3, Paragraph 8. Look it up. If you have to, peel half and leave the rest. It doesn’t just taste better but most of the nutrients are in the skin.</em>
- 2 pounds Yukon gold or red potatoes, cut into chunks
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup whole milk or half-and-half, warmed
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- kosher salt
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh chives, chopped
- In a large saucepan, add enough water to barely cover potatoes and garlic and bring to a boil
- Simmer over medium heat until potatoes are fork-tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain thoroughly and return to pan, discarding bay leaf.
- Set the pan over medium heat and add milk or half-and-half, sour cream, thyme and parsely.
- Mash with an old-fashioned potato masher or large fork, adding additional milk if needed to reach desired consistency.
- Season to taste with salt. Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with chives.