Grandma’s Buttermilk Brownies
Grandma Nene, edited by Joshua Trent
Recipe type: Dessert, Brownies
This is my Grandma’s famous Buttermilk Brownie Recipe. They are so good, but it’s almost more of a sheet cake. No matter what you call it, it’s sure to please whatever crowd!
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp instant coffee
- 1 tbsp hot tap water
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine the butter, water, cocoa and shortening in a saucepan.
- In a large heat-proof mixing bowl, sift the flour, sugar and salt until well blended.
- Once the butter mixture has started to boil, pour it over the flour mixture and mix.
- Add buttermilk, eggs, soda and vanilla to mixture. In a small bowl, dilute the coffee granules into 1 tbsp of very hot tap water and add it to the brownie mixture.
- Mix well and pour into a greased half sheet pan (11×16 or 10X15).
- Bake 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and immediately ice with chocolate icing below.
CHOCOLATE ICING: 1½ cup sugar 6 tbsp butter 6 tbsp milk 1 tbsp white corn syrup 2 tbsp cocoa powder 1 tsp instant coffee ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips 1 tsp pure vanilla extract Bring first 6 ingredients to a boil in a medium sauce pan, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add chocolate chips and vanilla. Pour over brownies immediately after taking out of the oven. Top with toasted walnuts of pecans if desired.