Healthy Apple Pie
Recipe type: Diabetic Friendly
I got this recipe from a friend and I haven’t made it yet, but it sounds just great. If you make it be sure to comment so we’ll know!
- 1 double pie crust
- 7 cups baking apples, cored, peeled and thin-sliced
- 1 cup Splenda, Granulated
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp water
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Place one crust into a 9-inch pie pan.
- Place sliced apples into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Combine SPLENDA® Granulated Sweetener, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle mixture over apples and toss. Spoon apple mixture into piecrust.
- Place the second crust over the filling. Seal edges, trim and flute.
- Make small openings in the top crust.
- Whisk egg and water together and brush on top of crust.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until the top crust is golden. Serve warm or chilled.
I always give a warning on any recipes with Splenda (Aspartame) so here it is. Some people have severe reactions to Splenda, including myself, and can’t eat it. I get headaches, nausea and usually feel dizzy. Also, some studies have shown that Splenda can actually INCREASE sugar levels in some diabetics even though it isn’t supposed to. At the end of the day Aspartame is a chemical that is not naturally occurring and therefor probably isn’t very good for us but you can eat it at your own risk. So there you have it, that’s my warning.