Hearty Meatless Minestrone
Recipe type: Soup
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 cup chopped cabbage
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3½ cups water
- 2 cans (14½ oz. each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 oz.) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 oz.) tomato puree
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 3 Tbsp. dried parsley flakes.
- 2 tsp. dried basil
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ½ cup small pasta shells
- Fresh basil leaves and shaved Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil for 2 minutes.
- Add the celery, carrots, cabbage, green pepper, zucchini and garlic; saute 3 minutes longer.
- Stir in the water, tomatoes, beans, tomato sauce puree, tomato sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in pasta; cook 12 to 15 minutes longer or until tender. Garnish each serving with basil and cheese if desired.