Shown with German Beef Roast
This is an authentic recipe for German noodles called Spaetzle. They can be served simply with butter and parsley or with something more substantial like German Beef Roast.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch freshly ground white pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In a large pot, bring 4 quarts of water to a boil.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, salt, white pepper, and nutmeg. Beat eggs well, and add alternately with the milk to the dry ingredients. Mix until smooth.
- Press dough through spaetzle maker, or a large holed sieve or metal grater.
- Drop a few at a time into simmering liquid. Cook 5 to 8 minutes.
- Remove cooked spaetzle with a Chinese strainer or pour into colander.
This is a really thin dough, don’t worry, you did it right, don’t add more flour. If you have no other choice, you can use a colander to get the spaetzle into the water but it’s pretty grueling this way and you have to work really fast so the dough doesn’t cook in the colander. I’d be interested to see if a food mill would work so if you make this with one, please share your experience.