Humphreys Family Cookbook
Recipe type: Dessert, Cake
This is a forgotten favorite from my Humphreys Family Cookbook. I haven’t seen this served in a while and I think it’s time for a comeback! Perfect for Easter or Mother’s Day!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1½ cups vegetable oil
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups chopped bananas
- Cream Cheese Frosting (Below)
- ½ cup chopped pecans (for topping)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Add eggs and vegetable oil, stir until just combined (do not beat!)
- Stir in vanilla, pineapple, pecans and bananas.
- Spoon batter into three well-greased and floured 9-inch cake pans.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- While the cake is cooling and the oven is still hot, toast the remaining pecans for about 5 minutes on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- Let cake and pecans cool at least 1 hour before icing.
Cream Cheese Frosting: 1 pkg (8oz) cream cheese 1 (16oz) pkg powdered sugar 1 stick butter 2 tsp vanilla Beat cream cheese, butter, and vanilla at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low speed until light and fluffy.