Macaroni & Cheese
This recipe started out from Ina Garten but I’ve changed it around a bit to meet my needs (and budget). It’s really good!
Author: Joshua Trent
Recipe type: Pasta
- salt (for pasta water)
- 1 lb elbow macaroni or penne
- 1 quart milk
- 8 tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter, divided
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 12 oz. extra sharp Cheddar, grated (3 cups)
- 8 oz. Italian Blend Cheese, grated (2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ cup dry bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 375° F. Bring a large pot of the salted water to a boil.
- Add the macaroni and cook according to the directions on the package, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain well. (Spray with cold water to stop the cooking process if you haven’t read ahead to step 3 yet)
- Heat the milk in a small saucepan, being carefult not to boil it.
- Melt 6 tablespoons of butter in a large (4-quart) pot and add the flour.
- Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring with a whisk. While whisking, add the hot milk and cook for a minute or two more, until thickened and smooth.
- Off the heat, add the cheeses, 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Add the cooked macaroni and stir well.
- Pour into a 13 x 9 baking dish.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, combine them with the fresh bread crumbs, and sprinkle on the top.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the macaroni is browned on the top.