Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies
Recipe type: Dessert
These little brownies make perfect shaped footballs to take to a tailgate party or serve at the next Super Bowl party!
- 4-oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 20 Tbsp. (2½ sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter (do not use all natural)
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 8-oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 13 x 9 inch baking pan with foil; mist foil with cooking spray. In a small saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate with 2 sticks butter, stirring until smooth. Pour into a large bowl and let cool to room temperature.
- In a bowl, using an electric mixer, cream peanut butter, brown sugar, cream cheese and remaining ½ stick butter until well combined, about 3 minutes. Beat in 1 egg.
- Whisk 4 eggs, sugar and vanilla into bowl with melted chocolate; mix well. Stir in flour and salt. Pour batter into baking pan. Spoon reserved peanut-butter mixture on top and use a sharp knife to swirl mixtures together. Bake until a toothpick inserted into center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, about 50 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack.
- Stir 1 to 2 tsp. cold water into confectioners’ sugar until mixture forms a thick, smooth paste. Spoon into a pastry bag fitted with a small plain tip. Using a 1-to-2-inch cooker cutter, cut 12 football shapes out of brownie. Pipe laces onto brownies and allow to set before serving.
These brownies can be made up to 2 days in advance. They are actually a little easier to cut that way. Let the brownies cool in the baking pan, then cover and chill overnight. Or make them up to a month ahead, wrap tightly and freeze. You will have many scraps left over after you cut out the footballs. Don’t throw them away (you can, of course, eat them!). You can put the left overs in a ziplock bag and freeze them for up to two months. They are especially good if you crumble the brownie pieces on top of ice-cream or any other sweet treat. Enjoy!