Shown with our Pepper Parmesan Ranch Sauce
Pepper Parmesan Onion Rings
Recipe type: Side Dishes
Homemade crispy onion rings made with a crust of panko bread crumbs, pepper and grated parmesan! Amazingly simple and simply amazing!!!
- 2 cups canola oil
- 1 large vidalia or yellow onio, cut into ½ inch slices and separated into individual rings
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1¼ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1¼ cups panko ( more if required)
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan (optional)
- ½ tbsp freshly grated pepper
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, to sprinkle
- In a heavy bottomed sauce pan or a small deep fryer, add the oil and heat to 365°F.
- Slice onions into ½ inch thick slices (across the onion) and separate into individual rings; set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and seasoning salt.
- Dredge all the onion rings in the flour mixture until well coated; set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg and milk and add to the remaining flour mixture that was used for dredging the onion rings. Whisk, until a creamy batter is formed, should be like pancake batter, use more milk if needed to thin.
- Place a wire rack on a sheet of aluminum foil to catch drippings.
- Dip the flour coated onion rings in the batter to coat well.
- Using a fork, remove and place the coated onion rings on the wire rack and let the excess batter drip off, about 1 minute.
- In another mixing bowl, mix the Panko bread crumbs, Parmesan and pepper.
- Roll the onion rings in the bread crumbs until thoroughly coated and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Deep fry the onion rings in batches of 4 to 6 for 1 minute, turn over and continue to deep fry for another 30 seconds to 1 minute or until golden in color. Do not overcook.
- Remove to paper towels to drain and season with Kosher salt.
- Serve with Pepper Parmesan Ranch Sauce.