Pumpkin Bread with Streusel Topping
This is an excellent sweet bread that is sure to make the holidays extra festive!! Try it with the streusel crumb topping, you won’t be disappointed!
- 3 cups sugar
- 3⅓ cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ tablespoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 4 eggs
- 1 can pumpkin (15 Oz.)
- ½ cup oil
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 cup water
- Sift and combine dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- In another bowl, combine wet ingredients then add to the dry ingredients, don’t over mix, it should be a little lumpy.
- Grease 3 9×4 pans and pour equal amounts of the batter into the pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool for at least 5 minutes before serving.
- Extra Moist Bread Trick: After cooling for 5 minutes, individually roll the loaves in a sheet of foil and let cool the rest of the way.
Streusel Topping: In a small bowl combine ¼ cup packed brown sugar and 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour. Using a pastry blender, cut in 2 tablespoons of butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in ⅓ cup chopped walnuts (optional). Note: If you don’t have any applesauce on hand just double the oil to 1 cup. It just adds a nice depth of flavor.