Pictured with Perfect Baked Sweet Potato
Smothered Steak with Mushrooms & Onions
One of my favorite restaurants is Texas Roadhouse and they make a great sirloin steak smothered with onions and mushrooms so I thought I would give it a try at home. Hope you like it!
Author: Joshua Trent
Recipe type: Beef
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 cups sweet onion, sliced thin
- 1 (8 oz) package sliced mushrooms
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons beef broth
- 1 tablespoon A1 Sauce
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 2 (6 ounce) beef sirloin steaks, boneless and 1 inch thick
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Place 1 tablespoon of butter into a large skillet and place over medium heat. Let the butter melt completely. Add the onions and mushrooms. Stir in the sugar and allow to cook 20 minutes or until caramelized being sure to stir often.
- Pour in the beef broth, A1 sauce and add the thyme. Stir well to incorporate. Cook 3 minutes or until the beef broth is reduced.
- Meanwhile, heat another skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle both sides of the steaks with the salt and pepper.
- Place the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter into the other skillet and allow the butter to completely melt. Add the steaks and cook 5 minutes.
- Turn and continue cooking 3 minutes for a medium rare steak. Adjust cooking times for rare or well done.
- Remove to a clean plate, cover with foil for about 5-8 minutes to let the juices soak back in.
- Smother steak with the onion and mushroom sauce before serving.