Southern Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce
Recipe type: Bread
Bread Pudding is one of my favorite desserts although it can be served with the main course. Stolen from the French, made better in the South. Yum!!
- ½ (1-pound) loaf day-old French or Italian bread
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- ¾ cup raisins (optional)
- Southern Whiskey Sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 12X8-inch baking dish. Cut bread into ½-inch slices; cut slices into ½-inch cubes to measure 8 cups. Place cubes into prepared baking dish.
- Combine sugars, cinnamon and nutmeg in large bowl. Beat eggs in medium bowl until frothy; stir in milk and vanilla until blended. Add egg mixture to sugar mixture; stir until well blended. Sprinkle raisins over bread cubes. Pour egg mixture over bread cubes. Push bread into liquid to moisten each piece. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until set and knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Prepare Southern Whiskey Sauce. Serve warm sauce over warm bread pudding.