Southern Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce
Bread Pudding is one of my favorite desserts although it can be served with the main course. Stolen from the French, made better in the South. Yum!!
Author: Joshua Trent
Recipe type: Bread
- ½ (1-pound) loaf day-old French or Italian bread
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- ¾ cup raisins (optional)
- Southern Whiskey Sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 12X8-inch baking dish. Cut bread into ½-inch slices; cut slices into ½-inch cubes to measure 8 cups. Place cubes into prepared baking dish.
- Combine sugars, cinnamon and nutmeg in large bowl. Beat eggs in medium bowl until frothy; stir in milk and vanilla until blended. Add egg mixture to sugar mixture; stir until well blended. Sprinkle raisins over bread cubes. Pour egg mixture over bread cubes. Push bread into liquid to moisten each piece. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until set and knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Prepare Southern Whiskey Sauce. Serve warm sauce over warm bread pudding.