Southern Buttermilk Chess Pie
Recipe type: Dessert
Chess Pie is a classic Southern dessert that is very similar to a custard pie. Give it a try, it’s very good especially with a good ole’ cup of coffee.
- ½ cup melted butter
- 1½ cups sugar
- 3 tablespoon flour
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 deep dish pie crust
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the butter and eggs together thoroughly until light.
- Add the eggs and vanilla to the mixture, beat until light and fluffy.
- Shift the dry ingredients together and add ⅓ of the dry ingredients to the wet ingredient mixture followed by ⅓ cup of the buttermilk.
- Mix ingredients until smooth continuing to alternate adding dry ingredients and buttermilk until entire mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Place pie crust within deep dish pie pan. Once the pie crust is in place pour the mixture in gently tapping the pan to help evenly distribute buttermilk filling.
- Place pie in 400 degree oven for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes have passed reduce the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and continue cooking for another 50-60 minutes.
- The pie is done when you can insert a knife into the center and be removed clean. The pie will also have a golden brown color to it.
- The pie can be enjoyed warm or chilled depending on your preference.