Southern Collard Greens
Collard Greens or mustard greens are a standard for any southern cook’s repetoire. They take a few tries to master but it’s worth it!
- 2 pounds of collard greens
- 1 ham hock or 6 slices of cooked bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper
- 2 to 3 teaspoons Kosher salt
- Clean and wash greens well; remove tough stems and ribs. Chop greens and place in a dutch oven; add onion.
- Wash off ham hock (or bacon) and add to the pot. Add red pepper and salt. Add enough water to cover greens and cook until tender, about 1 hour.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.