Spinach, Artichoke & Goat Cheese Pizza
Recipe type: Goat
As I’ve said before, my favorite show features a couple who own a goat farm, so this is for all the “Beek Geeks” out there.
- 1 can pizza dough
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 medium garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 12 large fresh basil leaves
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 cups (8 oz) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 to 4 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and cut into thin slices (optional)
- 2 ounces baby spinach leaves, thoroughly washed and dried
- 1 (16-oz) can artichoke hearts, quartered
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded, cored and chopped
- 2 oz goat cheese, crumbled
- Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced for garnish
- For Pesto: Place all ingredients in a blender or small food processor and blend well.
- If you have one, place a pizza stone on middle rack of your oven. Preheat oven to 500°F.
- Roll out pizza crust on a lightly-floured pizza pan, wooden pizza paddle or baking sheet. Brush dough with the pesto and scatter the sliced sun-dried tomatoes around the pizza.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella evenly over top, next layer the whole spinach leaves, then scatter with the artichokes and crumbled goat cheese.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Top with the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, carefully removing pizza from pan or paddle after about 7 minutes to allow pizza to finish baking directly on the stone (or oven rack) for a crispier crust.
- Remove pizza from oven and place back on the pizza pan/paddle that has been sprinkled with a small amount of cornmeal. (This technique helps to absorb most liquid and condensation that can form under a pizza once it is cut.) Garnish with the sliced green onions and serve.