- 1 beef chuck pot roast (about 2½ lbs)
- salt and pepper
- 3 medium baking potatoes (about 1 lb), quartered and unpeeled
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 large celery stalks, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ cup red wine or beef stock
- Trim any excess fat from beef. Discard fat.
- Cut beef into serving-size pieces; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place beef in at least a 7 qt slow cooker.
- Arrange potatoes, carrots, celery, onion and bay leaves over the beef.
- Sprinkle rosemary and thyme over vegetables and pour wine over vegetables.
- Cover slow cooker and cook pot roast on low about 8 ½ to 9 hours or high for 4 hours or until beef is fork-tender.
- Remove beef to large serving platter. Arrange vegetables around beef on platter. Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Serve pot roast with juices from slow cooker or with gravy, if desired.