Sunflower Seed & Honey Wheat Bread
Author: Joshua Trent
Recipe type: Bread
Serves: 3 loaves
- 2 pkg. (1/4 oz. each) active dry yeast
- 3¼ cups warm water (110-115 degress)
- ¼ cup bread flour
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- ⅓ cup honey
- 3 tsp. salt
- 6½ to 7½ cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup Sunflower kernels
- 3 Tbsp. butter, melted
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Add the bread flour, oil, honey, salt and 4 cups whole wheat flour. Beat until smooth.
- Stir in sunflower kernels and enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; divide three portions. Shape into loaves; place in three greased 8 in. x 4 in. loaf pans.
- Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Brush with melted butter. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.