Three Cheese Mini Mac’s
These little Mini Mac & Cheese appetizers are so easy to throw together and serve for an impromptu party or for a special engagement. Definitely a crowd favorite at my parties.
Author: Joshua Trent
Serves: 48 Mini Macs
- ½ pound elbow macaroni
- 1½ tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for brushing
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup milk
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (1 packed cup)
- 4 ounces deli-sliced American cheese, chopped
- 1 large egg yolk
- ¼ teaspoon smoked Spanish paprika
- Preheat the oven to 425°. In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the macaroni until al dente, about 5 minutes. Drain, shaking off the excess water.
- Brush two 24-cup, nonstick mini muffin tins with butter. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the Parmigiano; tap out the excess.
- In a large saucepan, melt the 1½ tablespoons of butter. Whisk in the flour over moderate heat for 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk and cook, whisking, until boiling, about 5 minutes. Add the cheddar and American cheeses and whisk until melted. Off the heat, whisk in the egg yolk and paprika. Fold in the macaroni.
- Spoon slightly rounded tablespoons of the macaroni into the prepared muffin cups, packing them gently. Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of Parmigiano on top.
- Bake the mini macs in the upper and middle thirds of the oven for about 10 minutes, until golden and sizzling. Let cool for 5 minutes. Using a small spoon, carefully loosen the mini macs, transfer to a platter and serve.
The recipe can be prepared through Step 4 and refrigerated overnight.