Tomato, Mushroom & Goat Cheese Penne
Recipe type: Pasta
I love the sweet and tanginess of the sun dried tomatoes and the richness the goat cheese adds.
- 1 pound penne, reserve 1 cup of the cooking water
- 1 cup sun dried tomatoes packed in oil, cut in julienne
- 1 cup shitake mushrooms, stems removed and cut in julienne slices
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper or to taste
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups fresh spinach, cut into thin julienne
- 3 oz goat cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Drain tomatoes reserving oil, cut into julienne if necessary. Add enough olive oil to the reserved oil to make ¼ cup.
- In a large frying pan sauté the tomatoes, mushrooms and garlic for 2 to 3 minutes or until mushrooms are lightly cooked, be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add wine and reduce by half.
- Add chicken stock and cook for 10 minutes longer.
- Cook the penne according to package directions for al dente.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and add goat cheese, mixing until well combined.
- Add the drained pasta and spinach and mix until well incorporated.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- If the sauce seems a little dry, add some of the reserved pasta water, about ¼ cup at a time until sauce is moist and creamy.