Traditional Chicken Enchiladas
Great recipe for some very tasty chicken enchiladas.
- 12 corn tortillas
- 3 cooked boneless skinless chicken breast halves, shredded
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¾ cup minced white onion
- 12 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 oz chopped green chilies
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan over a medium high heat, and then fry the tortillas on 5 seconds per side until they are pliable. Do them individually and add more oil as required. Drain the tortillas on paper towels and keep them warm.
- Divide the chicken, white onion and 10 oz of the cheese between the tortillas. Roll them up and place in a greased baking pan, seam side down.
- Melt the butter in a pan over a medium heat. Add the flour and whisk until it begins to boil. Add the broth, stirring continuously. Add the chilies and sour cream. Stir occasionally and do not let the mixture boil. Pour this mixture over the enchiladas when hot and thick.
- Bake for 20 minutes then top with the rest of the cheese and bake for a further 5 minutes. Use the green onions and cilantro to garnish.