This is a great recipe for using up extra zucchini from the garden. Some people make it with lasagna noodles and less squash but our point was to use up the zucchini but either way is good!
Author: Becky Trent
Recipe type: Vegetables
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 4 medium zucchini (1-1/4 pounds)
- 1 cup (8 ounces) cream-style cottage cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- In large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Add tomato sauce and seasonings. Bring to boil; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut zucchini into ¼-in. slices.
- In small bowl, combine cottage cheese and egg.
- In a greased 3-qt. baking dish, place half of the zucchini; sprinkle with half of flour.
- Top with cottage cheese mixture and half the meat mixture.
- Repeat layer of zucchini and flour.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and remaining meat mixture.
- Bake at 375° for 40 minutes or until heated through.
- Sprinkle with additional cheese if desired. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.